Dr Philip Mansel
- Dr Philip Mansel
- MA (Oxon), DPhil (UCL)
- Position/Fellowship type:
- Senior Research Fellow
- Institute of Historical Research
- The Flat, 13 Prince of Wales Terrace, London W8 5PG
- Email address:
Research Summary and Profile
- Research interests:
- Modern History
- Summary of research interests and expertise:
Philip Mansel’s principal areas of research are France, the later Ottoman Empire, and the history of courts. He is a member of the Conseil Scientifique of the Centre de Recherche du Chateau de Versailles. He is also an editor of The Court Historian, the journal of the Society for Court Studies, which he helped to found in 1995.
- Project summary relevant to Fellowship:
- Dr Mansel is currently writing a biography of Louis XIV.
- Publication Details
Date Details 01-Jan-2011 Monarchy and Exile: the Politics of Legitimacy
Co-edited with T. Riotte.
01-Jan-2010 Levant: Splendour and Catastrophe on the Mediterranean
01-Jan-2005 Dressed to Rule: Royal and Court Costume from Louis XIV to Elizabeth II
01-Jan-2003 Prince of Europe: The Life of Charles-Joseph de Ligne 1735-1814